The Family Wellness Team
In partnership with Calgary Region Child and Family Services' (CFS) Aboriginal Services Office, Mahmawi-atoskiwin will work alongside you and your family to create a Family Wellness Team. This team, which you are the leader of, will work together to address identified safety concerns that have brought your family to the attention of the Calgary Region CFS.
Mahmawi-atoskiwin aims to work with families through traditional Aboriginal teachings along with other approaches.
The family Wellness Team works to develop solutions to keep children with their families whenever possible.
Mahmawi-atoskiwin believes that families are the “real experts” on their family. We are committed to honouring, listening and trusting families to lead us in the best course of action.
Your Family Wellness Team may include some or all of the following people:
- You and your family
- Any identified extended family or support people
- Family Wellness Partner: responsible for developing the Family Wellness Plan with you and your family by finding and implementing resources for support and being a part of your journey through involvement with services
- Caseworker/Assessor: will work alongside the Family Wellness Partner to provide temporary or permanent safety solutions for your family. They are delegated under the Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act to ensure your children and youth are safe.
- Lodge Keeper: assists your family in meeting their basic needs as well as a broad range of other needs as identified by your family
- Circle Keeper: the facilitator and peace maker on the team who leads Family Wellness Circles and helps foster peace among your children, youth and family, as well as the team. The Circle Keeper is able to perform smudging ceremonies, space clearings and other techniques to provide a safe space for the Wellness Circles and other interactions to take place
- Cultural Resource Specialist: will work with your children, youth and family to establish and/or maintain connections to indigenous culture, the history of your people, and the history of your ancestors